What is a Virtual Assistant?
Although outsourcing tasks which are necessary and time-consuming to Virtual Assistants (VAs) is becoming increasingly popular, many people still haven’t heard of the term. VAs are highly skilled independent contractors who use modern technology to carry out work that will help to support your business via the Internet, email and cloud storage etc. They provide administrative support and specialised services remotely from their own office to other freelancers, consultants, coaches and small businesses. The majority of VAs have many years’ experience of working in an office environment and they come from a wide range of industries. It is important for clients to ensure that the VA they hire has the necessary skill-set for the work that they wish to outsource.
How to outsource to a Virtual Assistant
The best way to start working with a VA is to spend a little bit of time thinking about how you currently work, and how you would ideally like to work. It often helps to keep a note of tasks you do on a regular basis which could be easily outsourced. Once you’ve found a VA (via personal referral, google etc) make use of the free consultation that the majority of VAs offer to get to know them, and for them to get know about you and your business. It’s a good idea to agree in writing precisely what work is to be carried out, the timescales involved and the cost. Again, the majority of VAs will have written Terms and Conditions and a freelance contract in place. It is important to stay in contact with your VA, be clear about the tasks to be completed and provide regular feedback to enable you both to work effectively together.
Benefits of Using a Virtual Assistant
- No HR complications (e.g. tax and NI) and no recruitment or agency fees to pay.
- VAs allow you to use the same highly skilled worker every time you outsource work.
- VAs are available outside of normal hours, have no minimum hour commitment and are only paid for the hours they work.
- VAs work from their own offices so you won’t have to organise workspace or equipment for them.
- Your VA will work closely with you – no-one needs to know it wasn’t completed in-house!
How do you know it’s time to hire a Virtual Assistant?
- You feel overwhelmed with your workload.
- You want to be more productive and less stressed.
- You don’t want the hassle and expense of recruiting a member of staff.
Work Life Balance VA Services
Work Life Balance VA Services is based in Bristol and offers a flexible, individually tailored service with the aim of saving you unnecessary stress and valuable time and money. Our clients outsource time consuming tasks to us so that they have more time to focus on running their business, bringing in new clients and creating a good work life balance. We are passionate about supporting women in business as well as those working in the health and wellbeing sector. If you’d like to know how we can support your business, please get in touch for a free one hour consultation.
Written by Kerry Seymour